Saturday, January 3, 2015

Slipper Socks make nice gifts

Tragedy!  I had a wonderful slipper sock pattern that I couldn't find anywhere!  I was distraught.  I flipped through paper after paper, notebook after notebook.

Yes, yes, I know, the internet has endless resources for free patterns.  I didn't care about those patterns.  I wanted the one I wanted.  I had inherited this particular leaflet from a friend's grandmother who had passed away.  The pattern is from a Leisure Arts pamphlet which was published in 1976.  There is an awesome slipper sock that I have made countless times, but have never memorized it.  Here's a link to the pamphlet.

Crochet Basics (8 Patterns for Beginners, Leisure Arts Leaflet 66)

My brother-in-law normally receives a pair of these slipper socks for the holidays.  He likes sliding around on the kitchen floor so he normally needs a new pair every year.  I broke the news to him that this particular era had come to an end.

Then I was going through some boxes which contained books and papers and there it was!  My wonderful old leaflet.  I wanted to cry.  I immediately got to work crocheting.

I used a strand of Red Heart E302B.0368 Super Saver Jumbo Yarn, Paddy Green and a strand of Red Heart E300.0311 Super Saver Economy Yarn, White held together.  I used Boye Aluminum 6-Inch Crochet Hook, K10.5/6.5mm.  This makes a nice thick slipper which is warm and comfortable.  The yarn is acrylic so it lasts for quite some time.  One slipper probably takes under an hour to complete.  The heel is ribbed for a little stretch.




1 comment:

  1. I have my favorite patterns too. I know how you felt. Glad to see you found it!

    ReplyDelete