Friday, December 12, 2014

Knitting a moebius cowl

I knit up a cowl for my friend.  It is an infinity scarf with a twist.  It is called Moebius Cowl and it is designed by Cat Bordhi.

I love this pattern.  All you do it knit, but since there is a twist in the loop, you are knitting on the back and coming back to the front without turning your work.  You just keep knitting and knitting.  It is so cool.  I don't know what yarn I used, but I do like how the colors came out in the pattern.  You can see how the top part of this picture is knit, and the bottom is purled.  The twist in the loop is where the trick lies.  You are basically knitting on both side of your cast on row.

It is an eight stitch repeat, and the pattern calls for stitch markers every eight stitches.  I found this a bit cumbersome and it just slowed me down so I only used stitch markers every twenty four stitches.  After the pattern was established and I had become good at reading my knitting, I removed the stitch markers except for the one that marked the start of the round.

I bound off using Jenny's surprisingly stretchy bind off which made a very pretty edge and, of course, was stretchy.










Here is a video by Cat Bordhi herself explaining the cast on for this pattern:

Here is Cat Bordhi explaining how to do the stretchy bind off:



I find it difficult to do the stretchy bind off after a knit stitch, so I just purled my entire bind off row.  I love how the finished edge looks.  Here is my finished item:

1 comment:

  1. I love the yarn colors! Where did you get it and what was the brand? Thanks for posting the tutorials too!

    ReplyDelete